Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: HARRY'S GARAGE

mon the fish is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by cgt View Post
    A pleasure to watch. Harry is a genuinely nice chap in real life too and his persona comes across very well in these videos.

In complete contrast to the guffawing OMG brigade who have long passed their sell by date.
    Couldn't agree more with this - his and Chris Harris are the only ones I watch.

In regards to Chris' 911 v 205 recent video, there's no way the OMG brigade would get that. As a driver, I do

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Name
    cgt

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post

In regards to Chris' 911 v 205 recent video, there's no way the OMG brigade would get that. As a driver, I do

And Petrolicious

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post

These are just simply different demographic channels though.

The OMG brigade are the new generation of supercar enthusiasts teenagers to 30

Chris Harris is the guy many supercar owners think 30-50

Harry metcalfe 50-70

Itís generational thatís all.

Whatís the average age on here?

50plus?

Name
    cgt

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post

Harry metcalfe 50-70

50plus?
    Im still a way off 50 but I've read Octane for years.

It's like getting information from tabloids or from proper news sources with detail and content.

I doubt the excessively camp and juvenile approach of some Youtubers appeals to many who don't live with their parents.

To me personally the lack of knowledge is very obvious and would be disrespectful towards a serious audience if that is whom they were targeting (which they are of course not hence all the clickbait rubbish).

Who knows if they will still be around when their fanbase grows up and realises you don't get a supercar without working extremely hard for it and the next generation has other interests..?

Name
    cgt

Harry metcalfe 50-70

50plus?
    Oh and not disagreeing with you but simply think it's not about age. Other factors such as if you want serious information or tabloid crap.

Name
    cgt

Harry Metcalfe has written knowledgably and passionately since the early days of Performance Car and I've enjoyed his opinions for 20 years or so. Long before I met him in person and was in my 20s then. Had there been a "corblimey awwwwwsum omg lol" equivalent back then I suspect my response would not have been very positive

Name
    Will Finch

Harry Metcalfe has written knowledgably and passionately since the early days of Performance Car and I've enjoyed his opinions for 20 years or so. Long before I met him in person and was in my 20s then. Had there been a "corblimey awwwwwsum omg lol" equivalent back then I suspect my response would not have been very positive

Indeed. I'm 27 but enjoy his videos the most out of all the youtube lot!

ronrob is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Ronald Brown

And quite simply because Harry, in his videos, "talks" TO you and not AT you. This may an age thing, but in a more subtle way than just discussed.

Name
    CPD

You are confirming the hypothesis, he (harry) is of your generation, you have grown up with him. The OMG generation are looking for different things. As they grow up their audience will grow up with them and at the rate they are going - being now firmly part of the industry - they will get more experience in the next 5 years than the metcalfeís (and co) got in 20. Your parents will have thought the same of the voices of your generation.

Tabloid vs. broadsheet - again an age thing.

I honestly canít remember the last time I even read a newspaper - wake up check BBC website for the mainstream news, check independents on YouTube for the real stories behind the stories if I want to delve deeper.

Sure there are young fogeys who will read octane and I see some hipsters are using typewriters but they are the outliers.

Broadly speaking we all have our own experts but one thing we can all agree on is Clarkson is annoying at any age?

Name
    cgt

You are confirming the hypothesis, he (harry) is of your generation, you have grown up with him. The OMG generation are looking for different things. As they grow up their audience will grow up with them and at the rate they are going - being now firmly part of the industry - they will get more experience in the next 5 years than the metcalfeís (and co) got in 20. Your parents will have thought the same of the voices of your generation.

Tabloid vs. broadsheet - again an age thing.

I honestly canít remember the last time I even read a newspaper - wake up check BBC website for the mainstream news, check independents on YouTube for the real stories behind the stories if I want to delve deeper.

Sure there are young fogeys who will read octane and I see some hipsters are using typewriters but they are the outliers.

Broadly speaking we all have our own experts but one thing we can all agree on is Clarkson is annoying at any age?
    Really interesting conversation.

I see the OMG generation as utterly banal, one dimensional and lacking any substance or in depth opinion. In my limited viewing of such videos it's regularly illustrated that accuracy isn't important such as not knowing basic things about the subject matter and relying on tabloid style banner headlines to attract the masses.

Clearly I'm missing something if there is more substance than I can see, please do tell me if so. Genuine question, intriguing subject.

I may have always been a young fogey but things I find interesting are engineering, motoring pedigree, motorsport of all eras and motoring brand identity.

Watching a one dimensional young lad grinning into a camera with a vocabulary limited to high pitched giggles and guffaws gives me nothing whatsoever and I genuinely fail to see what the point is..

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast