Thread: Changing Tastes - dealer perspectives

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Default Changing Tastes - dealer perspectives

Got a VIP preview ticket for the show at NEC where the challenge and FXX program is being shown this weekend and was chatting to the sales people at my dealership. Not something I do often as more than likely I am in the workshop. Any how we were talking 812 super fast and general volume vs. Demand. Series production cars are now becoming limited as for the 812 they had 80 depositors but are only getting half the cars. 488 spider is getting that way but not as bad. We talked about a shift from how many cars you have had (being the dealership led model) to a how integrated into the Ferrari family are you? This was a bit vague but indetected a clear shift. We discussed other marques and markets and the inevitable SUV along with a shift in supply from established markets to new emerging markets. We then discussed options and the impact on re-sale. It is clear that as European dealers find themselves having to allocate fewer and fewer cars to more and more people wanting them then options, spend, reselling and keeping the re-sale in the family will obviously become a big factor. A generation is now rejecting the classic Rosso / Crema combo and more and more customers want something unique to them. Giallo cars are on the rise but the dealership doesn’t want to encourage as it means harder resale. I suggested that all things being equal those shifting tastes will transfer to the used market naturally but you can see the tension between owners bespoking cars and a dealer wanting them bland and re-sellable to the widest audience. I suggest this tension is only going one way. The 812 demo they have in was a ‘get what you are given’ job and was pretty boggo spec-wise.

The days of anyone with the cash wanting a V12 just showing up and ordering seems long gone and no doubt it may happen to V8’s as long as they move the game on sufficiently. McLaren have just set up
    Shop next door so interesting times for exotics.

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

So the salesman more or less agreed with all of your firmly held beliefs re people like you being ahead of collector types in future queues for new cars, the importance of options, 'resale red' disappearing from Ferrari etc? A salesman, simply agreeing with more or less everything you think? Who'd have thought it?!?!?!?

Just pulling your leg

mon the fish is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

It's been a breath of fresh air seeing some of the specs on the TdF - some owners have really put some effort in to choosing what they want. A lot of variety and non - red.

What I don't get is why you would then sell it so soon - from what the dealer is saying, they want a fairly standard colour combo for their used stock. So why do people not pick say Le Mans Blue with a tan interior, nice and classy; why go to the bother of choosing a stripe or colour that other folk might not like?

I get it if you're keeping the car for good - but if you're punting it after a ridiculously low number of miles, why go to the bother of choosing a unique spec?

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    It's been a breath of fresh air seeing some of the specs on the TdF - some owners have really put some effort in to choosing what they want. A lot of variety and non - red.

What I don't get is why you would then sell it so soon - from what the dealer is saying, they want a fairly standard colour combo for their used stock. So why do people not pick say Le Mans Blue with a tan interior, nice and classy; why go to the bother of choosing a stripe or colour that other folk might not like?
    ‘Resale red’ has always been more of a V8 thing in recent years, you’ll find more non-red 456s than red ones but more red 355s than any other colour. There’s nothing new here. The Red Ferraris thing is all about racing heritage, same as BRG for British cars, and the V8 sportscars are more ‘track orientated’ than the V12 GTs.

Agree with the second para though, especially blue with tan

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

I get it if you're keeping the car for good - but if you're punting it after a ridiculously low number of miles, why go to the bother of choosing a unique spec?

For some people the process is as exciting as the ownership...

If you are lucky enough to get the opportunity why not exploit the possibilities?

Many of those doing so don't need to care about resale value. That's a dealer and middle level wealth concern. For some it's not even a factor at all.

The notion of a low option car not being worth doing for the dealership was also discussed.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Its all a matter of taste and understanding what the majority of people like. If you like to protect your residuals, then Dealers know what sells as its their job, thats why they like retail red for a mid engine but not for a front engine. Its very very easy to tick a box and pay a pile of money for a real marmite option that will kill the resale on a car. e.g a stripe might look good on a mid v8 but awful on a front engine v12 .

Of course some people have unique tastes, dont worry about residuals, or are just plain stupid,which is why you end up with some "clown spec" odballs that the dealers are struggling to shift.

I am pleased that Enzo's original burgundy color didnt look good in black and white photos so he changed to current red

mon the fish is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    For some people the process is as exciting as the ownership...

If you are lucky enough to get the opportunity why not exploit the possibilities?

Many of those doing so don't need to care about resale value. That's a dealer and middle level wealth concern. For some it's not even a factor at all.

The notion of a low option car not being worth doing for the dealership was also discussed.

True, but I think if I was lucky enough to go down the Tailor Made route, I'd be much less inclined to sell the car as it would be exactly as I wanted it, and stuff anyone else's opinion.

If I'd picked a fairly plain spec/colours then I could see the point in changing after x years/miles

Fluffekins is offline Girl's Porsche Boxster Club Member
    Name
    Russell

True, but I think if I was lucky enough to go down the Tailor Made route, I'd be much less inclined to sell the car as it would be exactly as I wanted it, and stuff anyone else's opinion.

If I'd picked a fairly plain spec/colours then I could see the point in changing after x years/miles
    The FerrariHub podcast episode 8 I think is fascinating, they interview a guy (Tim) who specced a tailor made TDF, they talk through the whole process. Its a great listen and surprising in many respects - a real insight. Tim sounds like a decent bloke too a real enthusiast.

Name
    jonnyjonkers

True, but let's pretend you've been safe-speccing every Ferrari you've ever bought new since year dot, after a while wouldn't you want to experiment a little?

Where I work I see a lot of Range Rovers & Bentleys, some specc'd really nicely, others are just hideous. I saw a Range Rover the other day and, while I liked it, I thought to myself "That wouldn't be the way I'd spec my first one, but maybe by the third or fourth...". Personally, I always try to spec elegantly by keeping a few colours harmonious without glaring contrasts, but that's just me.

Like they say, you pays yer money, you makes yer choice.