Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 348 aftermarket exhaust rubbing on heat shield

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Default 348 aftermarket exhaust rubbing on heat shield

Had the engine put back in recently and now the exhaust rubs against the rear heat shield. As the exhaust is in effect sprung but the heat shield is fastened to the body of the car the two rub going over even small bumps. This is the sound when you wiggle the tail pipe:

https://youtu.be/veLJc-jTc-c

First question is, is it easy to adjust the relative position of the exhaust and the heat shield?

Second question is, if it didnít rub before the engine came out, how could it rub now? Looks like the exhaust is too far back but itís not immediately apparent how you move the exhaust forwards or heat shield rearwards.

If itís simple to rectify Iíll do it myself, if not itíll go back to the guys who put the engine back in.

Exhaust is a Nouvalari Supersport - similar in size to a Tubi and so smaller than the twin can OEM exhaust it replaced. Has been on the car 6 years with no issue.

Pangea is offline I mince along like a girl Club Member
    Name
    Nick

There is some slotted hole adjustment on the standard sprung mount. Have they put these back in the right place? Is this what you have? This is one of mine. You can see a witness mark. The front to back is a pretty much fixed position.

Name:  BUILT EXHAUST MOUNT 1.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  40.0 KB

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
    There is some slotted hole adjustment on the standard sprung mount. Have they put these back in the right place? Is this what you have? This is one of mine. You can see a witness mark. The front to back is a pretty much fixed position.
    Thanks Nick. I'll have a look this evening.

Doesn't look like a lot of adjustment there and as you say, no forward to back. Looking at it it looks like a little forward to back or a lot of verticle adjustment would be the only way to get the heat shield and back box away from each other

Carlo348 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Thanks Nick. I'll have a look this evening.

Doesn't look like a lot of adjustment there and as you say, no forward to back. Looking at it it looks like a little forward to back or a lot of verticle adjustment would be the only way to get the heat shield and back box away from each other
    Is there any possibility the cats aren't fully seated or the back box connecting to your cats. Only a couple of mm difference on slotting these back in could be all the difference.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    A 348 is like Marmite, you love it or hate it. Boy do I love it!

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo348 View Post
    Is there any possibility the cats aren't fully seated or the back box connecting to your cats. Only a couple of mm difference on slotting these back in could be all the difference.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    I'll look at that as well, Carl. Got to be something like that......

Name
    Nos

Ok, think I see the issue - itís the upper edge of the exhaust scraping on the lower edge of the heat shield and there are witness marks on the mount below where the exhaust is now mounted. In a nutshell the exhaust has been refit too high.

Cheers all, will get it sorted

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

You may find that slackening exhaust joints - wedging a block of wood in to move the exhaust - re tighten - remove wood - will move bits of the exhaust 5 or 10mm.

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    You may find that slackening exhaust joints - wedging a block of wood in to move the exhaust - re tighten - remove wood - will move bits of the exhaust 5 or 10mm.
    Thanks mate

Turns out although the exhaust may have been in a fractionally different position that wasn't the problem. On the back of the rear heat shield is an extra strip of metal and somehow that had been bent towards the exhaust and one of the rivets had popped/broken. On a standard twin can exhaust I'm guessing the upper 'muffler' of the exhaust is above this metal divide and the lower muffler is below it. My aftermarket Nouvalari sits right next to it.

I took both heat shields off (wish I had smaller hands, skinned a couple of knuckles....) and I'm struggling to see what the point of this metal strip is if I'm honest. It can't be to protect the heat shield as it doesn't cover all of it. Besides, a heat shield that needs protecting from heat would be a little absurd even by Ferrari's standards. And yet the only thing behind it is heat shield.

Anyway, I resisted the temptation to 'add lightness' and simply take it off and merely bent the edge back and away from the aftermarket exhaust. Problem solved.

Still tempted to take it off as it was badly bent out of shape and appears to achieve nothing other than to get in the way of my exhaust. Maybe a standard exhaust can touch the heatshield here and that's what it's for? Only thing my Nouvalari can snag on is this strip of metal.

Name
    Nos

Not mine but this shows the strip of metal attached to the rear of the heat shield:

Name:  1BE22B8E-E043-4360-A518-68EB1C66A752.jpeg
Views: 36
Size:  91.3 KB

Pangea is offline I mince along like a girl Club Member
    Name
    Nick

Interesting. Mine does not have that strip of metal. No holes. Looks like a later add on possibly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast